All of our bikes now come with a throttle as a standard feature. Including a throttle has been an ongoing debate, but we feel that customers should be given the choice. If desired, you may remove the throttle. The bikes have a 1-3 cable to use a non-throttle configuration (Europe) and a 1-4 cable for throttle operation (USA, Canada).
A throttle may be useful in the following situations:
- Starting from a stop. Starting from a stop in the wrong gear can be challenging and happens frequently given the speed that e-bikes are capable of. When stopping after travelling at a higher speed, users often do not shift down to a lower gear. In this situation, a throttle will allow you to speed back up while staying in the higher range of gears. This eliminates the repetitive shifting motions involved with stop-and-go travel.
- Accelerating past slower riders. In some instances, you may approach a slower rider while travelling at a comfortable pace. To pass the slower rider, you can momentarily accelerate using the throttle without changing your pedaling rhythm or adjusting the assist level. Once you pass the rider, you can ease off the throttle and resume your comfortable pace.
- Throttling through turns. When riding through long, sweeping turns as is often seen at intersections, the bike will quickly decelerate. Using the throttle will help the rider maintain their velocity. Pedaling is also difficult while turning and can disrupt the balance of the rider and bike. The throttle can help the rider power through the curve with ease.
- City Riding. The throttle is also useful when regularly changing speeds, such as while riding through a city with traffic and pedestrians. The throttle will help maintain a steady speed without using the pedals. Once the obstacle has been cleared, the rider can continue using the pedals and use the assist.
- Riding the bike while partially dismounted. There may be times when you need to ride the bike while standing with one foot on a pedal and the other foot on the side of the bike. This allows for a rapid dismount. Here you can use the throttle to ride the bike similar to an electric kick scooter. This is handy for using the bike indoors, while looking for parking spots, etc.